EPA Continues with 2011–2013 National Enforcement Initiatives in 2014–2016
Mar 19, 2014
The EPA announced that it will continue with its current set of 2011–2013 National Enforcement Initiatives (“NEIs”) through 2016. The NEIs attempt to focus EPA’s civil and criminal enforcement resources to combat the most serious and widespread pollution affecting communities. The EPA reevaluates the NEIs every three years. The 2014–2016 initiatives will focus on:
• Keeping Raw Sewage and Contaminated Stormwater Out of Our Nation’s Waters
• Cutting Toxic Air Pollution that Affects Communities’ Health
• Reducing Widespread Air Pollution from the Largest Sources, especially in the Coal-fired Utility, Cement, Glass, and Acid Sectors
• Reducing Pollution from Mineral Processing Operations
• Assuring Energy Extraction Sector Compliance with Environmental Laws
Citing support by public commenters for the 2011–2013 initiatives, the EPA sought to continue these enforcement initiatives “in order to assure that federal enforcement resources are focused on the most important environmental problems where noncompliance is a significant contributing factor, and where federal enforcement attention can have a significant impact.” In justifying each of the initiatives, EPA indicated that pressing needs for compliance and enforcement remain despite significant progress. The National Enforcement Initiatives are available here: http://www2.epa.gov/enforcement/national-enforcement-initiatives.
- Has Pruitt Tapped the Brakes on Clean Air Act Section 114 Requests?
- NSR Law Blog - OAQPS: Appendix W Section 8 updates
- EPA and Army Corps publish the long awaited proposed WOTUS rule
- NSR Law Blog - Draft EPA National Program Managers Guidance Suggests Focus on Monitoring and Timely
- NSR Law Blog - State NSR Program Approval Roundup: May 1 through July 5, 2017
- Region 9 updates
- EPA’s new Hazardous Waste Generator Improvements rule - effective as of May 30, 2017.
- NSR Law Blog - EAB Reject Requirement for Digital Camera Optical Technology
- NSRLaw Blog - Exploring the Ameren PSD decision
- NSRLaw Blog - PM2.5 Implementation Rule Changes NNSR Permit Requirements
- NSR Law Blog - EPA Delays 30 Rules - Including Appendix W Modeling Update
- NSR Law Blog - EPA Updates PSD Permit Appeal Rules
- NSR Law Blog - EPA Issues Direct Final Rule to Allow Rescission of Step 2 PSD Permits
- NSR Law Blog - EPA Announces “Next Steps” for Step 2 PSD Permits After UARG
- NSR Law Blog - EPA “No Action Assurance” for Step 2 PSD Permit GHG Conditions
- NSR Law Blog is active!
- Doug Jorden - 2017 Edition of The Best Lawyers in America, 2016 List of Southwest Super Lawyers
- Eric Hiser - 2017 Edition of The Best Lawyers in America
- Welcome to Jorden Hiser & Joy
- Eric Hiser - 2016 Edition of The Best Lawyers in America