Coal Producer Hit with Record Fine for Violating Discharge Permit
Mar 21, 2014
Coal producer Alpha Natural Resources, was fined $27.5 million in March for violating its water pollution discharge permits. In addition to the fine, Alpha and its subsidiaries must spend another $200 million on installing and operating wastewater treatment systems and implementing comprehensive, system-wide upgrades to reduce discharges of polluted water from its expansive coal operations in five Appalachian states. The $27.5 million fine is the largest ever handed out by EPA for violating water permits. According to EPA documents, Alpha violated its water pollution permits more than 6,000 times in a 7 year stretch, dumping polluted water directly into rivers, streams and tributaries. The polluted water, a byproduct of the coal treatment process, was high in heavy metals and other contaminants. The fine will be divvied up amongst affected states and the federal government and will assist with clean up costs.
More information can be found at: http://www2.epa.gov/enforcement/alpha-natural-resources-inc-settlement
- EPA’s new Hazardous Waste Generator Improvements rule - effective as of May 30, 2017.
- NSR Law Blog - EAB Reject Requirement for Digital Camera Optical Technology
- NSRLaw Blog - Exploring the Ameren PSD decision
- NSRLaw Blog - PM2.5 Implementation Rule Changes NNSR Permit Requirements
- NSR Law Blog - EPA Delays 30 Rules - Including Appendix W Modeling Update
- NSR Law Blog - EPA Updates PSD Permit Appeal Rules
- NSR Law Blog - EPA Issues Direct Final Rule to Allow Rescission of Step 2 PSD Permits
- NSR Law Blog - EPA Announces “Next Steps” for Step 2 PSD Permits After UARG
- NSR Law Blog - EPA “No Action Assurance” for Step 2 PSD Permit GHG Conditions
- NSR Law Blog is active!
- Doug Jorden - 2017 Edition of The Best Lawyers in America, 2016 List of Southwest Super Lawyers
- Eric Hiser - 2017 Edition of The Best Lawyers in America
- Welcome to Jorden Hiser & Joy
- Eric Hiser - 2016 Edition of The Best Lawyers in America
- Doug Jorden - 2016 Edition of The Best Lawyers in America, 2015 List of Southwest Super Lawyers
- Eric Hiser Named to the 2015 Edition of The Best Lawyers In America
- Doug Jorden Named to the 2015 Edition of The Best Lawyers In America
- Fourth Circuit Narrows Permit Shield for General NPDES Permits under Clean Water Act
- Supreme Court Partially Upholds and Rejects EPA’s “Greenhouse Gas Tailoring Rule”
- Coal Producer Hit with Record Fine for Violating Discharge Permit